Would you have (or do you have) a tattoo. What is your opinion of tattoos?
What are some beauty tips that you could share?
Tummy Tuck (aka Abdominoplasty) for extreme Stretch Marks & Muscle Separation. DrTim demonstrates a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and liposuction on a patient with extreme muscle separation, stretch marks and skin looseness from multiple childbirths. See how she regains her pre-pregnancy tummy with the B & A photos which show a more youthful, trimmer waistline and flatter tummy.
Like this post? Sign up for my blog updates and never miss a post. I’ll send you a FREE eBook as a thank-you.
Cosmetic Surgery Tip #12: Patients take 5-7 days off work for a breast augmentation (same for reduction)
You won’t be feeling 100% after that week, but you’ll be in good-enough shape to head back to the office if your job doesn’t require manual labour. However, if the implant is placed behind the muscle instead of on top (many women choose to do this for a more realistic look and less chance of a “scar shell” or capsular contracture forming around the implant), recovery will be a little harder and you might be sore longer.
Photo Credit: Saul Steinberg “Masquerade”
Appearance is everything these days and unfortunately, the ageing process is something we all must inevitably suffer whether we like it or not. There is still hope, however, for those of us who suffer from droopy eyebrows, sagging skin or deep furrows on the forehead, in the form of a brow lift.
If you’ve had enough of those tired and weary eyes staring back at you in the mirror each morning, a brow lift is a simple procedure that can turn back the years and restore the youthful vigour you once possessed. It’s common knowledge that when you look great, you feel great and your plastic surgeon can offer you two different brow lift techniques to reinvigorate your face.
Brow Lift Benefits
A brow lift has many clear benefits for patients choosing this procedure. Apart from improving your overall facial appearance, making you look more awake and less stressed, this procedure will give you an immediate confidence boost to aid you in social and work settings. When this procedure is carried out by a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon, the benefits are increased and you’ll see an improvement in regards to:
- Brow height, meaning you appear more alert and vital.
- The frown lines between the eyebrows which will lessen with the lifting of the forehead.
- Sagging brows which will be re-positioned to reduce the severity of the drooping over the eyelids.
- Forehead and nose-bridge creases. These will be reduced as the forehead is lifted.
- Shape of brows for women. A brow lift can give women a more aesthetically pleasing arched brow shape.
- Tired or irritated appearance, which will make you look more approachable and friendly.
Brow Lift Procedures
There are generally two types of brow lift procedures: The traditional brow lift and the minimal incision brow lift. The type of brow lift procedure you choose depends on the severity of your symptoms.
Traditional Brow lift
The traditional brow lift is generally more suited to patients with excess skin hanging over the upper eyelids, making your brows droop and giving you an unfriendly, angry appearance. Also known as a “temporal brow lift,” this procedure is for patients who wish to raise the outer 2/3 of the brow line. The brow line can be raised by making a 4cm incision in the temporal region of the scalp, before removing excess skin from the scalp and lifting the brow line to give you a friendly and bright eyed appearance. The advantages of the traditional brow lift are:
- The forehead or brow can be lifted higher for more severe cases.
- The skin is more easily mobilised.
Minimal Brow Lift
Aside from the obvious benefit of reduced and inconspicuous scarring, the minimal brow lift also minimises the loss of sensation around the site of the incisions. In general, the minimal brow lift is considered more suited to younger patients as this procedure does not involve the removal of excess skin. The incisions are also much smaller than those in the traditional brow lift and are skilfully concealed within the hairline. Whilst the traditional brow lift is rarely used today due to the extensiveness of the incisions, the minimal brow lift is becoming more popular because of the following advantages:
- Less visible scarring
- Less elevation of the hairline
- Less numbness around the incision site
- Minimal hair loss
- Less invasive
- Shorter recovery times
- Very little bleeding
Are You a Brow Lift Candidate?
If you are fed up of looking tired and stressed out, and friends have commented on how much older you look these days, it may be the right time to opt for a brow lift. On occasion, low brows are hereditary and because of this, plastic surgeons carry out this procedure on patients younger than 30 years-old.
Recovery Time for Brow Lift Surgery
In the early stages after surgery, you may experience some mild discomfort but nothing that cannot be easily allayed with mild pain medication for up to several days after surgery. Day three is usually when bruising and swelling is at its worst and within two weeks you should be able to fully appreciate the results of the procedure.
Are there Any Risks Involved?
The risks for the brow lift procedure are minimal at worst. You may experience some bleeding or infection and in very rare cases, nerve damage or hair changes but with a skilled and trusted plastic surgeon, the risks are negligible.
If you’ve had enough of looking overworked and unapproachable, it might be time for you to seek out a professional plastic surgeon to carry out a brow lift procedure and restore your youthful gaze.
Question: What is the most annoying feature of having sagging brows? You can leave a comment below.
Cosmetic Surgery Tip #15: Breast augmentations and reductions may affect your ability to breastfeed in the future
Women who have implants oftentimes choose not to breastfeed so the data sets on these women are unclear. However, if you have an areola incision, there’s a small risk you could damage minor ducts and could disconnect the areola complex with the main portion of the gland, hindering your ability to breastfeed. Women who have underarm incisions or incisions in the crease of the breast should not have a problem.
Photo Credit: Saul Steinberg “Masquerade”
Download FREE Guide on CoolSculpting® for Double Chin
Are you frustrated with your double chin? The wattle? The selfie killer?
Whatever you call it, with CoolSculpting® you can get rid of it. Permanently!
I’ve just put together a FREE GUIDE on “CoolSculpting® for Double Chin.” To learn how to remove unwanted fat below your chin and contour the neck, then download this PDF file now.
Fill out the details below to learn more:
The things you need to know to make better choices regarding breast augmentation are the following:
1) Match your desires with reality
The surgeon can only work with the tissues you bring him. If you want the best result, you have to balance what you want with what the tissues will allow you to have and what they can support over time. Also, no woman has two breasts that are the same, and no surgeon can create two breasts exactly the same. Cup size is extremely variable and inconsistent from one brand of bra to another and women buy a bra that they can fill (or to push breast tissue where they want it to go to create a specific appearance), not necessarily a bra that fits. Last of all, the bigger the breast you request (ie. the bigger the breast augmentation), the worse it will look over time and you can’t pick out a breast from a book or magazine and expect the same result unless the woman in the picture looked exactly like you before surgery.
2) Know about the implants
Breast implants are not perfect, don’t last forever, and require some maintenance. If you can’t accept these facts, don’t have a breast augmentation. If you do, then you need to think about:
- Implant pocket location. Implants can be placed in front of, or behind muscle. There is less capsular contracture rates when the implant is placed behind the muscle and you can obtain better or more accurate mammograms too. Also, in thin women, behind the muscle is preferable because adequate tissue coverage is most important. Think when you lie in bed, if you are covered by a bed sheet only, then one can see the contours of your body a lot beer, than if you were to be covered by a doona, they are less distinct. Having said that, an implant placed in front of the muscle will always more predictably control breast shape. How do you decide whether to go in front or behind the muscle? If you pinch the breast tissue in the upper pole and it’s < 2 cm, consider going beneath the muscle, otherwise, you run risks of seeing the edges of the implant. One aspect that often gets overlooked is the way the pocket is created. Blunt dissection techniques are fast and efficient but create more tissue trauma, tear tissues, create more bleeding, and result in longer recovery time. Electrocautery dissection techniques use an electric current to seal blood vessels and are thus, less traumatic and have shorter recovery times.
- Implant shape. Shapes of implants can either be round or tear drop (anatomical). There is a trend today of women wanting more upper pole fullness and therefore opting for round implants. Given that the breast is constantly evolving and that over time there is loss of upper pole fullness as the breast tissue ”melts away”, breast augmentation with round implants may be a good option for maintaining upper pole fullness in the long term. The other added advantage is that if it rotates, it doesn’t affect the shape of the breast. In contrast, a tear drop implant which is fuller at the bottom and tapers at the top, will give an odd shape to the breast if it does rotate. However, breast augmentation with tear drop implants may be better in women who have odd shaped chests (either long or wide for example) because you can tailor the dimensions of the implant more specifically to fit the breast ”foot print” on the chest. Tear drop implants may also be beneficial in women with mild sagging breasts who do not want scars on their breast from elevating the nipple. The tear drop implants have a ”bucket-handle” effect on the nipple, elevating them to a higher position on the breast.
- Implant surface (or shell). The surface of the implant is made of a silicone rubber and can be textured or smooth. Textured implants have a lower risk of capsular contracture than smooth implants.
- Implant ”stuffing”. The stuffing or filler of the implant can be silicone or saline. Saline is salt-water and is harmless if the implant ruptures. It’s biggest disadvantage is rippling and that it takes up the ambient temperature, so that if you went to the beach for a swim, when you get out, your implants will feel cold. Silicone gel filler on the other hand is more natural, more predictable and it is safe. There are grades of silicone gel that range from ”jelly” consistency to that of ”gummy bears”.
- Implant size. Remember, the larger the implant, the more tradeoffs and risks you’ll encounter, especially long term.
- Incision location. The scar can be placed in three areas. The breast fold incision offers the best degree of control for the wide range of breast types and is the the commonest type used by far. The periareolar incision (around the nipple-areola) usually heals well because it’s located in thinner skin but is limited and can’t be used if the areola is not large enough for access. The biggest problem is the increased exposure of the implant to bacteria if any of the breast ducts were to be cut. The armpit (axillary) incision places no scar on the breast but takes longer to perform and harder to control the position of the breast fold.
3) Get well acquainted with the tradeoffs, problems and risks
Tradeoffs always depend on the details of each specific case, the characteristics of your tissues , the experience of your surgeon with different options. Every breast augmentation operation carries inherent risks and medical complications are not totally preventable by you or your surgeon. Remember, don’t have a breast augmentation unless you thoroughly understand and accept the potential risks and trade-offs of the procedure.
4) Know about the recovery
The more tissue trauma caused by your surgery, the longer and more difficult your recovery. That is why it takes longer to recover from a pocket created behind the muscle. Excessively large implants can produce excessive stretch marks that cause more discomfort and temporary or permanent sensory loss. Most women return back to normal duties within four weeks and athletic activities by six weeks.
Question: Do you think that the benefits far outweigh the trade-offs for breast augmentation? You can leave a comment below.