CoolSculpting is a non-invasive, clinically proven procedure to selectively reduce fat layers in problem areas using a patented cooling technology. It is a safe procedure that gently cools unwanted fat cells in the body to induce a natural, controlled elimination of fat cells. This reduces bulges in treated areas of the body without harming surrounding tissue.
- It involves no needles, surgery or downtime.
- Since CoolSculpting is non-invasive, patients can resume daily activities including work and exercise, immediately following treatment.
- It’s safe.
- Patients can generally sit or lie comfortably and read, work on their laptop or even nap during the procedure. The procedure is performed in a medical office, under the supervision of a plastic surgeon specialising in cosmetic procedures.
- It’s convenient.
- Procedures last about one to two hours, so treatment can easily be performed during a lunch hour or without major disruption to the day.
- The results are dramatic.
- On average, each CoolSculpting Procedure results in a 20% reduction of fat in the treated areas, and patients can start to see results as soon as three weeks following treatment, with the most dramatic results occurring over a period of two to four months in most patients. Clinical studies involving hundreds of patients show that, for properly selected patients, CoolSculpting is an effective way to reduce fat without the risk and recovery time of surgical procedures. The result is noticeable, natural-looking fat reduction in the treated areas.
How CoolSculpting Works
During the CoolSculpting procedure, a non-invasive applicator delivers precisely controlled cooling to the treatment area to specifically target underlying fat, leaving surface skin tissue unaffected. When fat cells are exposed to extreme cold, a process of natural removal is triggered, which gradually reduces the thickness of the fat layer. The result is a visible reduction in fat bulges.
CoolSculpting is safe because the delivery of precise cooling affects only targeted fat cells, leaving adjacent tissue unharmed and intact.
CoolSculpting is not intended as a weight-reduction program for overweight individuals. The best candidates for the procedure are people near their ideal body weight who eat well and exercise regularly and have pockets of fat that have not responded to a healthy lifestyle. They are seeking spot reduction for specific areas of fat but are not considering a surgical procedure.
The Science Behind CoolSculpting
The CoolSculpting procedure developed by ZELTIQ is based on sound science called Cryolipolysis. Cryolipolysis is the result of a groundbreaking discovery by Drs. Dieter Manstein and R. Rox Anderson at the Wellman Center for Photomedicine at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, a teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical School. ZELTIQ is the exclusive licensee of this patented technology and therefore the only company to provide Cryolipolysis.
Their initial work, first published in the peer-reviewed professional journal Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, proved that subcutaneous fat cells are naturally more vulnerable to the effects of cold than other surrounding tissue. These Harvard studies and other research from centers of excellence confirmed that fat cells, when exposed to precisely controlled cooling for a sustained period of time, undergo a gradual reduction and cell death through a process called “induced apoptosis.”
Question: What areas on your body do you feel CoolSculpting may be beneficial in removing stubborn fat bulges? You can leave a comment below or Share this post with family and friends.